Monday, June 9, 2008

Blessed......

Well the last couple of weeks have been very eventful around our house! On Memorial Day, Mark started feeling like he was getting an eye infection and it kept bugging him. By Wednesday, people at work were asking him if I was beating up on him because it looked like someone had knocked him a good one. He also had these huge goose egg like things on his head and behind his ear. Wednesday afternoon he went to the Dr which was his first visit to the Dr in like 7 years. The guy just told him it was totally normal and that he just had some swollen glands and gave him a prescription for some eye drops to help his eye. Thursday it is just getting worse and I had to take Cooper to the Dr for his 6 month check-up and asked his Dr about it. She told me to tell him to leave work immediately and head straight for the Dr's office. At this point I was a bit worried, to say the least, and I could tell Mark was worried also because I kept getting picture messages from him as it got worse! He called the Dr and they said that they couldn't see him that day and Mark pretty much had to demand some antibiotics. Friday morning he was looking worse and we were both feeling like it was important for him to be seen, so Mark went to see a different Dr in the clinic. She looked at him for like 25 minutes and told him he had cellulitis. Cellulitis is a skin infection that can get into your lymph nodes and then into your blood and can be very serious, even deadly. Mark's had gotten into his lymph nodes so they stuck him on one of the strongest antibiotics and told us we couldn't go on the camping trip we had planned for that weekend. They said he was hours from a long hospital stay! Luckily, he is getting better now but he is still getting headaches and feels kind of wiped out.

Then this last week we found our basement, that has only been finished for 2 months, flooding! We had like 2 solid days of rain and got like 2.5 inches out by our house. There were several other houses in our neighborhood that also flooded!

So you may be asking what this has to do with feeling blessed? But honestly, we have had some wonderful experiences through these trials. First, we feel very luck Mark is recovering so well, but I am also so grateful that Mark and I both really felt like we were being prompted to continue seeking treatment for him. And that we were able to find someone that could help him get better before it turned into something more serious than it already was. We also had an amazing experience with our basement. Mark couldn't sleep the night this happened because the rain was hitting the windows in our room so hard and ended up out in our family room on the couch trying to sleep. Then, Cooper woke up at 4 which is earlier than he normally wakes up. I went into the family room to feed him and found Mark in there. I offered to feed Coop in our room and he told me he would just go down to the basement because the couches down there were more comfortable. I went down at 5 to wake Mark up for work and then went to bed. Mark didn't come in to our room to get ready and I heard Mark go out into the backyard and then into the garage. I finally got up to see what was going on and found Mark looking for a bucket to get rid of the water that had filled up our window well and was pouring in through our window! Mark was able to get all the water out of the window well and I headed to my Mom's to get her carpet cleaner so we could try to extract the water from the carpet. We were able to get about 9 gallons of water out with the carpet cleaner. It was still pretty wet when Mark got home from work that night, so we called the carpet company that had installed the carpet and they told us we could just cut out the wet pad and replace it and lay the carpet back down once it has dried all the way. Honestly, I don't know what we would have done if all of that water from the window well had had time to spill into the basement! We know now that there was a reason Mark ended up in the basement and was able to catch it so quickly! He has never slept down there unless you count that one time when I was mad and it was unbelievable that he would be down there the night it just happens to flood!

So I know these are totally weird things to be blogging about. And if you are still reading this, bless you! But I just didn't want to forget how truly blessed we have felt the last couple of weeks! I know my Heavenly Father loves me and wants the best for me and I feel like I am really learning to listen to the promptings that I receive from him!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

What great stories! And what a great way to look at them. Thanks for sharing!

me said...

love the post! I love those little reminders that help us know that our Heavenly Father does love us and knows where we are...ive had quite a few lately.

Cindy said...

Wow! What a week. What's up with Richmond American Homes and flooding basements? I'm glad to hear Mark is okay, that's scary. It's a great post, don't worry about the long ones, I do them all the time. Stop by my blog and say hi!

The Funky Bunch said...

It's amazing how blessings can come in many different disguises. At the time you might think something is horrible but it ends up being a blessing.