Well it's official...both my girlies are back in school! I can't believe that summer is over already, it seems like we were just counting down the days for it to start. I am excited for the girls to be back in school because they both love it so much and could definitely use some time apart, but it makes me sad when they are gone! I have to admit though, I am enjoying having a bit of quiet time around here!
Syd started last week and I have to say that her first day was one of my hardest days I have had as a Mom. I hesitated writing about this because 1) it was such a hard thing for me 2) it's kind of embarrassing and 3) I was totally THAT mom...you know, the annoying helicopter mom. It was such an amazing experience for me though that I don't want to forget it!
It all started a few weeks ago when we found out that Syd wasn't going to be in the class that she thought she was going to be in . At the end of last year there was a chance that her 2ND grade teacher was going to move up to 3rd and we asked her if she wouldn't mind putting Syd in her class if she did. We finally heard a few weeks ago that she was going to move up and Syd was so excited. She been telling everyone who her teacher was going to be, but when the lists came out she wasn't in her class. Syd was pretty devastated and was especially sad because a few of her good friends were going to be in the class. I decided that I would go over to the school and see if I could switch her teacher and had to write a written request. A couple days later I was at the school for Brook's Kindergarten tests and asked about the request. It had been denied because the class she was in was smaller than the other. I kind of just though, "oh well" and told myself I had tried and it would be fine either way. Syd was also getting used to the idea of being in the other class so I figured we were set.
Then, the night before school started I couldn't sleep and was so sick to my stomach. I couldn't stop thinking about Syd and her class. I was honestly ready to home school her I was feeling so bad about things. I spent the morning praying and trying to figure out what to do. I finally felt like I knew what I had to do. I felt very strongly that I needed to go in to talk to the office first thing in the morning and to ask for a different teacher than I had originally requested. I hadn't ever thought of doing this before.
When Syd woke up I told her what I was thinking and she started to cry. Great. Syd isn't a big fan of change and she had finally accepted she was going to be in one class and wasn't ready to change again. I was feeling so torn. Do I do what I felt so strongly about and make my little girl sad?! I told her I would think about how she felt and I would see how I felt when we got to school. We went a little early to leave us time to go into the office and Syd really just wanted to go to her class. We walked to the back of the school to her class and I was nearly in tears. I just felt sick. We walked right up to the class and we saw her teacher. She was darling and was so sweet when she was greeting the kids. I was very impressed, but still totally sick. I pulled Syd away and we were walking back towards the office when she saw her one good friend in the class. Syd was so excited to see her and told me she just wanted to go back to her class with her friend. Honestly, I didn't know what to do. I knew she was going to cry and feel sad if I made her leave, so I took her into her class. Her teacher was very sweet and I even took a picture with her and Syd. I said goodbye to Syd and walked back out of the room.
My car was really close to where I was and instead of leaving I ended up walking through the hallways of the school trying not to cry. Now, I cry every year when I drop them at school, but this was different. I was so sick. I don't remember the last time I had felt so bad. I knew I couldn't leave her there. I ended up back at the office and had to wait to talk to the secretary. I really didn't know what to say. They had already turned me down on switching Syd to her old teacher and I really couldn't say I had a problem with the teacher because I had really felt like she was very sweet when I had met her. I then remembered that I had felt like I should ask for a different teacher. I told the secretary that I was wondering if I could try to switch Syd to another class and she told me the others had even more kids than the first class. She then asked me what was going on and I lost it. She was so sweet and sat and talked to me and took me into the Principal's office so I could talk to him. I was so embarrassed and was trying to collect myself while I waited for the principal. I thought I was going to have to go through the whole story with him, but when he walked into the room he thought Brook was Syd and asked her if she was ready to go to Mrs. Slade's class. I was shocked! He sat down with me and instead of making me feel silly or embarrassed, he simply said, "Thank goodness for the inspiration of mothers." I was floored. He had talked to the secretary and had already been down to arrange for Syd to join the class we had originally requested. He also mentioned that he appreciated that I was wiling to be flexible with the teacher to switch her to, but that he thought it would be fine to put her in her old teachers class. I honestly think that because I was willing to switch to another teacher, he knew that it wasn't just about getting my way and having her in the class I wanted.
The principal went and excused Syd from her class and I met her outside her new class. I was so worried that she would be upset, but the principal had told her that she was going to be in her old teachers class so when I saw her she was all smiles! I was so relieved! I told her I was sorry to take her out of the class and quickly told her how important I felt to was to switch her and we both got a little misty eyed. It was such a special moment. We had just had a FHE that Monday night about feeling the spirit, and I think she really understood!
Ever since then, I have wondered why I felt the way I did. I really don't think it was the teacher, but I guess I will never know. I am just so grateful that things worked out the way I KNOW they were supposed to. I am so grateful for answered prayers and guidance and comfort when things are hard!
My sweet girl ready to go!

So my Brooker-bee is officially a Kindergartner and her first day should have been my teary day, but it was such a great day for Brook. She got a great teacher who she knows, has a TON of friends in her class from our ward and was just so excited to go to school with Syd! (She is still trying to convince me to let her walk home with Syd.) This week has been amazing and she has been so happy. We have tried several times to get little readers for her at the library, but she hasn't shown a lot of interest...until now. We went to the library on Tuesday and got her three books and she has already learned all the words in all three books. I can't wait to watch her learn and grow this year!
My Brookie-Cookie
Ready to go...
Brookie and Avery

Brook and Mrs. Hyre....does she look a little nervous? lol

P.S. My BABY is a KINDERGARTNER!!
10 comments:
This made me get a little teary eyed.Sounds like everything worked out. Sydney looks so grown up in those pictures! Both girls look adorable!! How is Brookie liking Kindergarden?
Susan!!! You made me cry! I am so glad you listened! That can be the hardest thing to do. The staff at the school are so amazing. I love them! I am glad Syd is in Mrs. Slades! Josh is in there, too! :)
I am so glad that everything worked out. It is a great story. Your girls look so cute all ready for school. I hope that they have a great school year.
Your girls are so cutie!!! Tasha had Mrs Hyre while we were there and I loved her. She was awesome. I can't believe Brookie is in Kindergarten though....
Thanks for that story! I have had my share of anxiety about Joshua's school as well and have prayed for the right school and the right situation. Nice to hear that other Mom's are going through some of the same things I am.
Brook really does have a great class!! I'm excited for them! That's such a great story about Syd. There obviously was some reason you felt she should move and you can't ignore that. It's awesome that you stayed strong and continued to try and change her. That's awesome. Oh and Syd looks so gorgeous in her pics and so grown up!
What a great story! Thanks so much for sharing. Truly, I don't know what I would do without inspiration when it comes to my kids. Sometimes, like you, I just know there's no other way I would know what decisions are best. Good for you for seeking out the answer and for listening so intently!
Hey Susan,
What a great blog! Thanks for the sweet things you wrote about us and members of the fam! I LOVED your story about Syd's teacher. I cried in the principal's office about Mark in 7th grade. The principal was good about that too. I was told and truly believe that if the parents aren't going to be the advocates, who are?! I was proud of you for sharing with us the feelings of your heart and the spirit. Sure love you, Mom
Thanks for sharing that story! You may never know the reason why Syd needed to be switched out of that class but you will be blessed for listening to the promptings of the Spirit. Well done, your family is lucky to have you! Your girls look darling! Have a great day!
Thanks for sharing... it IS amazing how stronge the spirit is when we just LISTEN!!! Thanks for helping my testimony grow a little bit. :)
Post a Comment